Saturday, March 31, 2012

Restaurant Review: 800 Degrees

This week on pandagrub, we are going to do a restaurant review. Today we visited  800 Degrees which is a pizzeria near the Hammer Museum in West L.A.

 The panda in the picture above is named Riceball. Riceball is very excited to be going to 800 Degrees! It is located at 10889 Lindbrook Drive, Los Angeles,CA 90024. I found out about 800 Degrees in the LA Times. For the article click here. This restaurant is called 800 Degrees because they cook the pizzas in an 800 degree oven.


 At 800 Degrees, the chefs make the pizza to order.  They even make the dough fresh! 


After the chefs knead the pizza dough, they add whatever topping you ordered.  I ordered a pizza margherita, which is the classic combination of tomato sauce, mozzarella, and basil.  Those represent the colors of the Italian flag.  

 That's my pizza on the left side, and my dad's pizza is on the right side.  He ordered a pizza "bianca". A pizza "bianca" is a pizza without tomato sauce.

This is what my pizza margherita looked like when it was taken out of the oven. Riceball and I were very excited to gorge ourselves on pizza. My favorite part of the pizza  was the tomato sauce because it was very fresh.


This was my dad's pizza. On his pizza "bianca" he added prosciutto and arugula. My dad thought that his pizza was cooked perfectly and that the crust was very flavorful. My favorite part of the pizza was the prosciutto because it was like my two favorite lunch meats mixed together: salami and ham. The prosciutto melted in my mouth. I liked it so much, I stole most of the pieces off of my dad's pizza.   


These meatballs were the perfect way to end lunch. The meatballs are also baked in the 800 degree oven. Inside of the meatball, there was tomato, oregano,and parmigiano.  Riceball and I are definitely looking forward to coming back to 800 Degrees. Next time we will try the pizza marinara with soppressata.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that pizza looks so good! It is amazing how quickly the pizza cooks in an 800 degree oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riceball must be the only panda in the world to eat delicious, light, healthy pizza from LA's Westside! No wonder he is smiling so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riceball looks like he started without you..is that a piece of basil in his mouth? Pizza Margherita is definitely in my top 5. There's a slice called a "Grandma's" slice here, do you have that there on the West Coast? A "Grandma's slice is a square slice with fresh sauce that has extra garlic, its quite yummy.

      Delete